What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Week 1 in the Mexico MTC

I have soooo much to tell you all, I wish I could talk to you on the phone. I would be able to tell you everything so much quicker, but that's OK. This will teach me to type quick. :) 

Wednesday, when I got to the Mexico City Airport, I was very nervous. But it turned out not to be as scary as I thought to go through immigration & customs. The airport people were actually quite friendly and helpful. Before making it through, one of the personnel did a look-over of one of my checked bags; I don't know if you're allowed to bring candy and snacks from another country, but the personnel just looked at the big bag full and me, smiled and put it back. I got the feeling that I wasn't really supposed to have it, but they were kind and let me keep it all anyway. 
When I walked out of the customs sliding doors with all my luggage in tow, it was crazy packed!  There was space roped off so the people crowded around left a walkway open; they were all holding signs and cameras and acting real excited any time the doors opened and another person walked out. I felt a bit like a character in a movie who gets ambushed by reporters or something. A representative from the CCM (Mexican MTC) came up to me really quick saying, "Hermana" ("Sister" in Spanish), and helped me with my bags. Apparently, the reason it felt like paparazzi was because it was! There were tons of people and many with their big cameras for news and such. The world-famous Korean boy band, Super Junior, was supposed to arrive that night also. I didn't end up getting to see them, but just as we were leaving they arrived. The whole airport was filled with loud cheers, screaming and giggling women workers leaving their posts to go and see. It was pretty fun. I wish I could have gotten a glance at them, but it was still really fun to be there with all the commotion. 

There were about 6 or 7 of us missionaries who arrived at the airport at about the same time. The CCM guys that picked us up at the airport were really nice. One of them bought us each a drink and a snack because he knew we were hungry, which was so nice of him! I only wanted a drink though. My first Mexican item! :D  T'was "delicioso"!

My First Mexican Drink
We all rode cramped together in this giant white van in crazy traffic. Drivers in Mexico City are "loco" (Spanish for "crazy")!! They just merge whenever they want to and as fast as possible! It's just so crazy that everyone doesn't get into accidents all the time! Many of the streets in Mexico City have bad smells. And almost everything has graffiti on it. On the way to the CCM we saw lots of "policia" too! I kid you not, it felt like almost every street we passed there would be a police car with its lights on. There were also a ton driving along the streets with us. While we were driving, one police car came down the road with its lights on and no one slowed down even a little or moved over for him or anything! I guess they don't do that here. 
I enjoyed the drive, even though it was dark out. It was fun to see everything in Spanish, (the advertisements, the road signs, the police vehicle's lettering, etc.) And all the house lights along the mountains and the old looking "edificios" (buildings) were neat. We even could see "el templo" (temple) all lit up. It was beautiful!

Our Van to the MTC

The CCM is located on 90 acres and was a school owned by the church for the last 50 yrs. Our CCM "presidente" (president) said it was intended to be an MTC the whole time, and the Lord was just lending it as a school for those years, which is an interesting concept. It does work really well as an MTC. It is surrounded by a wall the whole way around and is guarded at the gate by security guards, because the city is a bit scary. When we got there, they fed us giant pizza and more fun Mexican drinks. Then mi & mi hermana (sister companion) went and found our casa (house), and went to bed without really unpacking at around 12 midnight.

So far, I've actually been really enjoying the MTC! I wish there was a little more free time, but it's all good. I was doing good until Sunday, then I felt really depressed. I felt like, "holy cow, I'm going to be out here for a year and a half without going home!" But then we had a devotional that night with a speaker who actually served in Chile, the country I will ultimately be going. While on his mission there, he ended up having surgery on his jaw for a cyst, just like I once had. His talk was funny, uplifting, and just what I needed to hear. The talk came at the perfect timing, and it felt like it was for me. So I've been great ever since. :) 

And btw — I have woken up on time every day so far, and all on my own... Just so you know! So HA! ...except like 2 days ago. I woke up about 10 mins late, but 'tis all good.

I obviously can't speak Spanish fluently yet, but considering I only got here about 8 days ago I'm amazed at how much I know and understand already. All of our teachers are natives and generally know only a little English, so you really have to focus and "escuchar" (listen) to "entender" (understand). 
Every day is packed with learning. We wake up at 6:30 a.m. and spend the day going to classes for personal study, language study, companion study, or to the labs for more language study with an interactive computer program, (which I love). We have an hour and a half break for gym time each day. In the evening, we teach an "investigator" (a guest volunteer,) for practice in Spanish, which is so hard! Then we have about an hour and a half to get ready for bed and write letters, journals, etc. 

We get 3 meals a day that are legit Mexican food, & always so good! Their desserts usually are a little bland though, and have kind of a strange texture. On Sunday, we had tamales, which made me sooo so happy! It was "muy delicioso" (very delicious)! 

OK! Now I really have to go! Keep on choosing the right! ("Haz lo justo!") I will write more on Thursday next week! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment