What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 33: Good and Bad

Some bad things about the week were that my companion and I are struggling to get along, but I feel like we are getting along better each day - so it’s ok. The important thing is that there’s progress! :) Also, on Saturday evening I contacted two guys on the street (normally one of the safest streets in Chillancito). They were fine, but as I was talking to them two more came, then suddenly 2 more, and then 2 more. One drunk tried to grab my companion and give her a kiss. Nobody else was on the street for some reason besides these guys that night, so that made it a bit scarier. Luckily nothing happened and we parted ways safely. Most of the guys were polite enough; just the one was really rude. We were a bit traumatized. I do not like what alcohol does to people.

Some of the good things were that we had a mini-cambio this week, and I was with Hermana Rane in Collao. I loved the experience and learned a lot! Hermana Rane is super nice and she knows a lot, since she is about to end her mission. She only has 3 more weeks left. She was great at giving lessons and contacting people because she was calm, natural, and she really seemed to listen and care about every person she talked to. I want to become more like that. I care about the people, but I’m not very good at talking naturally. I usually come across as a salesperson I think. :( 
My companion and I found some new families in our area that are members. We are excited to help them get comfortable with the church here. One family even has a 12 yr old who is not baptized yet, but wants to be. We are excited to help with that! Maybe I will finally have my 1st baptism. :D We also had a lot of success this week with teaching menos activos with members.  And it was fun to hear all the people excited during the last world cup game. I really hope Chile wins this year. So it overall was a good week!


We had interviews with the Mission president and his assistants (which are two elders) gave a lesson. I really loved the scripture they shared about when Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane and prayed to God, "Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."  (Luke 22:4)


I love it because it shows that even Jesus, who was perfect, struggled with the challenges that our Heavenly Father allowed Him to suffer. He asked that the weight be lifted, but in the end basically said, I’ll do what you want me to do, because I know it is for the best. I’ve heard the scripture many times, but for some reason, it really hit me this time. I am so grateful for Christ’s perfect example and for the sacrifice He made for us, so that we don’t have to suffer as much as Him. He suffered so that we can feel comforted and not suffer quite so much, and so that we can return to live with Him and our Heavenly Father. What a wonderful thought! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment