What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Week 30: Gospel's Powerful Effect

Today was cambios, and I am staying in Chillancito. Woo! I am very happy about that. I don’t feel ready to leave yet. My companion is leaving for Colemu, and Hermana De Leon for Tome. The crazy thing is that the companion of Hermana De Leon, Hermana Tellez (from Nicaragua) is going to be my companion now. There is going to be only one set of missionaries this cambio in Chillancito. This will be my first time in an area with only one set. How strange it will be. I’m glad with the cambios because it won’t be too much change, and Hermana Tellez is nice. Plus, she wants to start running with me. Yay! :D

Monday we got to have a family home evening with the Bishops family. They held a FHE especially for us because they wanted to show their support for the missionaries, and let us know they appreciate our work. It was super nice of them. They are also trying very hard to introduce their friends to the gospel, even if it is hard and slightly uncomfortable. They really want to help us and move the work of the Lord along.

Wednesday we had a special conference just for hermanas! All the sisters in the mission gathered together in Chillan for the conference. I got to visit with my companions from the CCM again, which was fun. :D It was such as great conference, and it was so nice to travel back to Chillan. It has already been four months since I left there. The trees looked like fall, so it was weird to see the city differently.

A lot of the members have been going out of their way this week to give us cakes and fruits, because last Sunday Hermana De Leon almost passed out while she was giving a talk at church. We think it was because of low blood sugar. She didn’t eat breakfast, and was running before church to pick up some investigators so they could walk to church together. The added stress of the talk was probably just the last straw. It was kind of funny though, because so many people rushed to her aid at the pulpit. The members are so good here in Chillancito! :) I love them all!

And here is my spiritual bit of stuff I want to share with you this week. In Alma 31:5 of the Book of Mormon it reads, “And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just--yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God.”

I love this scripture because it tells us that the best way we can help the people all over the world with their problems is through the gospel. By helping people come unto Christ we will have success in making the world a better place!




1 comment:

  1. What great stories, I love hearing everything that is going on with your mission! be safe and know we are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete