What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Week 29: The Witch

It’s weird that I am starting to be used to the mission life now! It’s so completely different from the way we normally live since we learn a new language, new culture, but also because we give up soooo many things while we’re here! Like I can hear your voices but two times in the year, I can’t just call you all up. We don’t watch movies or listen to music, unless they are focused on the Gospel and Jesus Christ, and we don’t visit Facebook or read whatever fun book we want. I thought it would be really hard, and it was for quite awhile, but I’m feeling a lot more comfortable with it all now.

This is random - I am starting to recognize different accents in Spanish. Also random - my Spanish friends say they can’t really hear a difference between our English, and that of Great Britain. Weird huh?

We had lots of little miracles that made our week a good and successful one. We found some 
promising nuevos investigadores, and completed our 140 contacts. We even contacted five extra. The last day of the week we were having a hard time trying to get in our last 20 contacts, since we 
had a lot of citas (appointments) and there weren't many people in the street. At the end of the day
we had 30 minutes left before we had to be home, and we were determined to reach our goal! We tried to find people, but there was hardly anyone in the streets. We contacted everyone we could on our way home, then we made an extra effort to go out of our way and contact a person walking on a bridge. This ended up leading to our little miracle. As we contacted the person, another showed up, then another couple, then another group! In 5-10 minutes, we ended up getting 10-15 contacts! Some of them even gave us their addresses and were very nice. We were so excited! :)

On Monday we were out walking on the street, and I saw a lady walking towards us. She slowed down, almost like she wanted to talk to us. I went to contact her and introduce the gospel to her. She started saying something to me really fast. I couldn’t understand and my companion was talking on the phone, so she couldn’t really help much. Then the woman turned around, pointed to her backpack and asked if I could take something out for her. I didn’t really understand, so I didn’t want to just start digging in her backpack without knowing what I was doing. I tried to ask my companion what she was saying. She was still on the phone, but she told me that the woman needed money. Then the lady said it was in the outermost pocket. I found something that felt kind of like money and pulled it out. It turned out to be just little coins attached to a crocheted net. It was like one of those gypsy skirts. Then she said, “ah yes, that. Thanks!” She pulled off three little coins and gave them to me, said some more stuff I didn’t understand (she sounded like she was speaking another language), then said she knew Hermana De Leon (one of the other hermanas here in my sector). It was a bit odd. I offered one of the fun coins to my companion, since she had finally finished her phone call. She backed away saying, “no no no no no, don’t touch me! Throw those in the garbage!” Then she explained that the woman was a witch, and that she gave me the coins so she could work her black magic or what not. My companion said that her sister’s husband had supposedly touched one of those things and afterwards couldn’t walk for years (which I think is very likely just coincidence). Later, we talked to Hermana De Leon, and she was freaked out because she had only spoken to the lady once for a moment. Then one time shortly after she had seen the witch lady again, and the lady randomly started shouting some weird chant and lots of bad words at her for no apparent reason. That was a month or two ago, and yet she still remembered her name. It was quite a strange experience. I threw out the coins for good measure then washed my hands well after, because I was afraid she may have put some poison on the coins to make it appear to be black magic. But tis all good. Plus, we all know the Lord is more powerful than any supposed witch could be.

Wednesday, we visited the recent convert Hector and he showed us his record player and collection of old records. That was neat to see - he has quite a collection! He told us that he had the missionaries over for a FHE in the house of his family, which is in another city. During the FHE the elders taught his 6 yr old brother how to pray - like how to start, ask god for things you want, things your thankful for, etc. Then when his brother gave the prayer, he asked for a Playstation 4. lol! How funny little kids are. :P




No comments:

Post a Comment