What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Monday, December 29, 2014

Week 60: More Than a Teacher

This week was quite good, what with all the Christmas celebrations and such.  Today there are cambios and I am going to stay in Talcahuano. That makes me happy, because I like this ward and I didn’t want to leave yet. My companion is going to Tome and will finish training a new hermana there. I’m sad to separate from my companion since I really enjoyed the time we had together. We laughed a lot. But it’s also good to have change, and it will be interesting to be with an American again. My new companion is going to be Hermana Vawdrey from American Fork, Utah. There are now four Americans in our sector. This is the first time in my whole mission to be with all gringas. I’m a little nervous about not having a translator anymore. It was nice having a Chilean companion to help me understand the slang, and the people connected easily with her. However, it will be nice to be able to joke with someone who for sure can understand me. It’s hard to joke well in another language.

This week we taught an atheist. He was saying that he has a hard time believing that Jesus Christ really was a god. He believes that he existed (since there are so many records about it) but just as a great philosopher or teacher who knew how to fool the people with magic tricks. I got to thinking about the scriptures in the Book of Mormon, which say:

 6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?
 7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?
 8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.
 9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
 10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written. (2Nephi 29:6-10)

As it says here, the testimony of two nations helps us to believe in Christ. It has always made sense to me that Christ would show himself to other people living in the world, since all are important to God. Now the genius of God to have a second witness of Christ is clearer to me. Christ showing himself to another part of the world is proof that he really was a god. There would be no other way he could appear to the other side of the world if it were not so. The Book of Mormon is so important for our time - to help us believe in Christ. If we can gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon, then we can truly know that Jesus really was a god and not just a great teacher!





Merry Christmas!


Good-bye!

Hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment