What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 16: Caterpillar Soup

Here are some of the highlights of my week! Oh and here is an attached photo of my schedule. I know you guys asked what my schedule was like, so here it is! :)

Monday was p-day. Yay! I just did the normal. I woke with a migraine, so I slept for a couple hours first. Then we went to Concepcion and emailed, bought food, and visited the mission office. Then we went home and worked on letters and got ready to leave to work from 6:30 to 10pm. We had a Noche de Hogar with some members and recent converts from 8 to 10, so that was fun! :) I always enjoy family home evenings! They make the day so much faster and give us something to look forward to in the night.

Tuesday, we had district class in the morning. Every Tuesday we have district classes. We gather together as a zone and hear announcements and such. Next we split into district classes for about two hours to learn and do practices. Then we went to lunch and then started another normal day! We found a woman who was very kind and friendly, and she let us teach her even though she is already Catholic. She even invited us to come back, so that was good! :) We also visited a less active couple, and taught them about genealogy and the blessings of the temple and such, and they were very excited about it. They hadn’t heard about that yet, and they were very excited to start. Hopefully they keep up that energy and will start coming to church so they can go to the temple too! My comp and I are trying to get people to start family history here in our ward now. :)

Wednesday, we taught a lesson to an older woman who has been progressing slowly. We taught her about the gospel and the five main steps - faith, repentance, baptism, confirmation/receiving of the Holy Ghost, and persevering to the end. It went really well! AND I actually finally felt kind of a little confident teaching. I felt like I had an idea of what to really say to teach in a simple and strong manner, and in Spanish! lol! Later that day we had lunch. We ate a vegetable soup that was made with all homegrown vegetables. It was good, but the vegetables all looked not very clean and tasted a little like dirt. I also found a little caterpillar/worm thing that had probably been in the vegetables and just didn’t get cleaned out well, floating in my soup. I just casually pulled it out and snuck it into my napkin and kept eating, hoping I wasn’t eating more of them. lol! Later my companion, one of the other hermanas and myself all started feeling really queasy and kind of dizzy. The other hermana ended up throwing up. I felt like it for a while too. My comp and I ended up cutting our day short at 8pm because she was feeling really sick and her feet have major blisters, that are from some sort of foot fungus – it looks really painful. I slowly got better during the day. I was better off then the other hermanas I think, and the 4th hermana just has a stomach of steel. lol! We think it is because she eats many spicy foods in Guatemala, so her stomach was already tough. haha! .

Thursday, we all still felt a bit queasy, but since the other two hermanas were feeling blah, and I was pretty decent, I went and worked with the Guatemalan sister. We went to lunch alone while the other hermanas slept. We were late because of many reasons we couldn’t control, and the other hermanas forgot to call the lady and tell her they weren’t coming since they were sick. When we arrived, the lady was quite mad. It was a tense lunch, and the hermana with me didn’t say almost anything at the start of the lunch because she was uncomfortable. So I was left to try and talk with the lady in my bad Spanish and she had a hard time understanding me at first. lol! It was interesting. But by the end it was all good. The lady was happy and sharing experiences, and the other hermana started talking. We left on a good note. :) Then the day was pretty normal after that and we all were working again.

Me & My Companion 
Hermanas Outside the Concepcion Mission Office
Missionary Schedule

1 comment:

  1. Sydney!! Lol i laughed so hard at the caterpillar soup part, well not the part where you got sick. :( I Hope you get this and if it doesn't say who sent it, it's your best friend foooorreeevvveeerrrr!!! O_O lol it's me, your hermana Paige!! :) Love ya and miss you oh so terribly, i've got the Sydney blues bad, but i hope you're having lots and lots of fun in Chile!! Alright missy, can't wait to read what you post next! :)

    ReplyDelete