What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 45: National Day of Service


Today we had a super fun zone activity at the beach here in Penco. We played volleyball and cooked and ate hamburgers. The elders hiked into the mountains and cut down some old dead trees. They dragged them two miles back to the beach so we could use them as supports for the net. They proudly displayed the battle wounds they received on their legs from the adventure. As we were playing volleyball, some other elders showed up with the stove from their apartment. They brought it to the beach so we could make hamburgers. Guys crack me up. We had a good time.

Friday was the National Day of Service here in Chile. We got to spend the morning cleaning up the graveyard of Concepcion with a ton of other missionaries and members. I love doing service projects, especially outside. It was interesting to see how different and less well kept the graveyard here is compared to ours in America. My companion told me that in Mexico on The Day of the Dead, many people spend the night praying to their loved ones at their graves. They put flowers and their dead ones favorite foods on the tombs so their spirits can enjoy those things.

This week we saw some good progress in some of our investigators and less active members. We had a lesson with one woman about the resurrection again, and she finally seems to understand it. She even bore a big testimony of how she believes in Christ! We still have a lot to help her with, but that was a big break through.

I learned to always follow through on righteous ideas, because they are often promptings of the Spirit. Many times this week I had felt the urge to call a member who was not at church last Sunday.  At first I forgot because of other things I was worrying about. When I finally remembered, I decided not to call because I reasoned that she had probably just been out of town. When we talked to her at church this Sunday, she told us how difficult this past week and a half had been for her.  I realized that I should have called her like I had felt. I am sure it was the Holy Ghost trying to guide me. Now I know if it’s a good thought, I should just act.

My thought of the week:
2 Nephi 2:25 says, "Adam fell that men might be" - He ate the fruit so that the rest of us could come to earth and receive bodies. "And men are, that they might have joy." - We all exist on the earth so that we can really experience what it means to have joy. We need to experience the difficult times to understand completely and be fully grateful of joy. We have this opportunity on the earth to gain joy for eternity. 


Cook Out

Helping Hands

No comments:

Post a Comment