What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 47: SPIDER!

On Friday, we were walking super quickly back to our house for the night, because we were late. We always try to talk with everyone, but it’s hard to speak to anybody when we are late. We almost didn’t talk to one girl (about 22 yrs old), but at the last second I decided to say something her. She almost immediately said she was so glad that we stopped. She told us that she is a member and that she and her family haven’t been to church for about six years. These past three weeks she has wanted to go back to church but hadn’t the courage to do so. We took her phone number and invited her to church and she said she would come. Lots of people tell us this and then don’t come, so by Sunday we had nearly forgotten about it. We were so surprised when she showed up and stayed all three hours. The members went out of their way to sit with her and help her feel comfortable. It was awesome!

On Tuesday I had a mini-transfer with Hermana Corbett, which went very well. It was fun to be with someone who could speak English for the day! :)

This week my companion, a member and I went to a house for an appointment that we had. Whenever we go to a house we always shout "Halo" instead of knocking, because there are always fences. As I went to halo, my face touched the fence and I felt something quickly touch the side of my face. I instantly thought “SPIDER”, but I couldn’t check because a man had come out of the house to tell us that our investigator was not home. I calmly replied, the whole while wondering what had touched my face. When he went back inside I immediately looked at the fence. It was too dark to see well, but I thought I saw legs sticking out of a hole in the fence. Some spiders here live in tunnels and jump out quickly to snatch their prey. I took out a pen and started touching the edge of the hole. Suddenly a HUGE black spider jumped out and attacked my pen! It was the biggest spider I’ve ever seen here. My companion screamed, which made me scream, and the man from the house looked out of his window all surprised. lt was pretty embarrassing and a little disconcerting. I shall not put my face on any more fences.



No comments:

Post a Comment