What? & Why?

Sydney is serving a year and a half for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Concepcion Mission from November 2013 - May 2015.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 46: Independence Day

This week Chileans celebrated Chile’s day of independence. The Chileans are very patriotic. All week we heard the Chilean music, saw people dressed in traditional clothing, saw people dancing cueca, and there were TONS of Chilean flags. We got to eat a lot of the traditional food of Chile, like empanadas, pajaritos, sopapillas, and a drink called Mote con Huesillos. It was fun to try all their foods! I like the sopaipillas and the Mote con huesillos the best.

We got to hear and see all the fun of the celebrations of the Chileans. There were giant bulls walking through the street that were used for bull riding competitions. We attended an activity on September 18th and we wore the traditional dress of Chile. I am in a dress called, "La vestida elegante" or the elegant dress. It’s also called "El vestida de los quicos", or the dress of the rich folk. My companions are wearing the fun, more common dresses, called "La Vestida China" which was the middle class dress historically. I bought some material, and a member kindly offered to make me a dress cheap. I’m excited to see how it turns out.

Since everyone was celebrating all week, we had very little success in finding people to teach. So we spent a lot of time this week just walking and walking and walking some more. My feet have hurt a lot this week. While we walked my companion and I got to talk a lot and get to know each other even better. We get along pretty well, with very little problems. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment